There is a mountain/large hill that is visible one you leave the mission. It is called Nyuro Nyuro or something like that. It is very noticeable since the rest of the landscape is relatively flat. Flat in the way you would consider most of ND flat, look at it at a distance and there is little variation but if you had to walk across it you would notice all of the hills and valleys that you would have to climb.
This is Nyuro Nyuro at a closer view than I usually see it (This is the African bush. If you look closely to the right of huts and a little ways back you can see an elephant. Made you look, there are no elephants here. Sorry if you got excited :) There are elephants in Moz somewhere but not here.)
This is one of the views from the top of Nyuro Nyuro. I am always amazed at trees that can grow out of rocks. The strength and resilience they need to survive. It took about 40 min to walk up. It was the most direct path I have ever taken up a mountain, straight up. No switchbacks in sight. At times there was no path in sight which is a good thing because I was told there used to be sacrifices carried out on top. Witchcraft is a very real thing here. No trail means few travelers and no sacrifices.
Nyuro Nyuro always seemed so big and powerful. On the top looking down it is the numerous villages, huts, and people that are overwhelming. I've read statistics that 17% of the Mozambique population are HIV+ and I am told that it may be as high as 30% in the area I am because of the highway that goes through. There also is a prediction that the number of orphans in Mozambique will increase by 350,000 in the next 2 years. I believe these are both from a South African publication called Pulse. Applying these statistics in relation to the area I could see from the mountain, the area where the children who come to the clinic live is daunting. It is at moments like that, and there have been many, that all I can do is repeat the truth that God is bigger. He is bigger than the worst situation, the ugliest action, the deepest pain. He not only is bigger but our Lord has already overcome sin by dying on the cross for us. We must choose to accept and live in His victory, under His mercy.
This is me with 2 of the friends that went on the trek, Amy and Esther. Amy is translating at the clinic and Esther used to work at the clinic but now is back in South Africa. She is missed.
Another change of view has been a move of location. This is the room I stayed in for the first 4 weeks, minus the bed. Not bad at all. The challenge of the room was that the entrance to it was the communal bathroom being shared by 3 of us and any of the many visitors to the house. I got used to the bathroom as the foyer even if it was not the most desirable. The biggest challenge was being locked in when I wanted to leave. That has sadly been one of the greatest tests of my patience in my life. But thankfully...
this is now my home, at last the kitchen. The bedroom is directly through the door on the right. There is no bathroom in between :). In fact, there is an entrance from the outside with a quaint arched doorway! Notice the vines on the wall on the left side? How many of you have had to paint vines on your interior walls? These are real and don't even need to be watered. The kitchen is open with only mosquito net and blinds on the windows. There is beautiful morning sunlight and nice hedged garden out the back with a fire pit even! It is much quieter here and I can come and go whenever I want. I am blessed by this home.
For those who read this just to hear about the kids, they are all good, growing, and staying in trouble. They are a blessing to be able to love. I will try to get more photos of them next time.
Hi Sarah, I can hear through your post God preparing you for a life in this new landscape. Thank you for showing us where you live and a little bit of the scenery. It helps us to picture you there. Praying for you everyday my friend!
ReplyDeletelove
Valerie
As always your perspective and optimism is an inspiration. I am praying for you as I know JUST how hard those hard days are. I'm glad you're there Sarah Berreth!
ReplyDeleteHey Sarah,
ReplyDeletewow. The bathroom situation- that would of made me crazy and a very bad witness!!! I think its funnie you have only netting for a wall - never fly here in SD! God bless my sistah,
wendy
SARAH
ReplyDeleteYOUR MOTHER HAS BEEN SO KIND TO SHARE YOUR WEBSITE WITH ME. I WORK WITH HER.SHE HAS A WONDERFUL DAUGHTER DOING THE LORDS WORK.I ENJOYED YOUR WEBSITE AND PICTURES!
A FRIEND
NANCY JANE