Wow, it's been a while since I updated you all. I've been avoiding the internet simply because it's easy to do when life gets busy. Sorry.
One of the things that has happened is that we are now 10, in a good way. Meli was able to go home to her dad. She was with us because of a difficult situation with her mom's family but they have now moved away and it is safe and good for her to be with her dad and his family. They love her dearly. We took her home on Monday. They truly live in the bush. We traveled the paved hwy for about 15 min. and then drove for 1 hour to cover 17 km on dirt roads/paths. Meli's family has to travel most of the 17 km on foot whenever they need supplies or when they would visit Meli at the orphanage. She is still in the baby feeding program, which in short means that I will still get to see her every 1-2 weeks. We miss her. We continue to pray for her. But God created her to be in her family and they do really care for and love her. She is where she belongs.
Meli, 2 years old, with her auntie.
Something else that has happened in the last 3 weeks is that the baby feeding program that I work with has outgrown it's current location. At the beginning of the year, it is going to be moving. In distance it's not a big move but it was a hard decision for those who had to make it.
I don't recall ever explaining the baby feeding program. I sometimes refer to it as the clinic. Jacqui, a nurse from South Africa, has been overseeing it for about 12 years. Mothers, fathers, aunts, and grandmothers from near and very far bring their children to be weighed, receive basic heath care, and nutrition. They always get powdered milk and then depending on their weight sometimes sugar and/or oil to mix with the milk. When I was here in Nov. 2008 there were about 375 babies on the program. We now have 500+. The babies are either HIV+, born to HIV+ mothers, the mothers have died, or the babies came in severely malnourished. They come every week to two weeks based on health and if they gained weight or not. The parent or caregivers also receive basic health care. A home, with a family is ideally the best place for a child to grow up and so the more we can help support and treat the health of the caregivers the longer the child can live with them. A truth that is not hard to understand is that an orphanage is not the best place to raise an orphan, it is with remaining family. They just need encouragement and support sometimes to make it possible.
Jacqui has also been overseeing the children in the baby orphanage but will not be able to when the clinic moves. That means by the beginning of the year I have the great privilege and responsibility of overseeing the children and staff. I know you are all thinking, 'Isn't that what you're there for?'. Yes. But this all is moving faster than I could imagine. Thankfully, the Lord's grace is sufficient, His mercies are new every day, and He gives us the strength to make it through each day. Also, I am very thankful for Jacqui. She is very patient, encouraging, supportive, and wise in many ways. I am blessed to learn from her and serve along side of her. Please pray for us during this time of change and transition. That the Lord would clearly show His plans and that we are willing to walk in obedience.
Another prayer request is for a friend, Elizabeth, who works in the clinic with us. She is vital part of the team having an incredible sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and being Mozambican, she knows the culture and helps us to understand. She is so much more that but I can't put it into words right now. She started experiencing physical deficits on her left side, weakness, dizziness, and headaches. A CT scan done in Zimbabwe (the nearest location for a CAT scan) revealed a brain tumor, a glioma. Which means it's not a good thing. From what I understand, even though surgery can be performed to remove the tumor, it is not a cancer that can be cured. She is 33 years old, has 3 sons, Elijah (14), Solomon (11), and Israel (5). Her husband died from TB before Israel was born. I can't imagine how hard it is to be a single mom but being a single mom here seems even more difficult to imagine. She is a beautiful person whose faith and trust is in the Lord. My prayers for her are first of all the the Lord, the Great Physician, would heal her. He can and it would be an incredible demonstration of His power to a lot of people. Secondly, if she is not healed, that wisdom and provision would given for what we can do to help her medically. And then, also for her boys, for strength, that the Lord will provide a safe and loving home for them where they can stay together, and that they would turn to the Him for comfort and peace. Please remember them in your prayers with the faith that the Lord still does miracles. He can heal her.
Elizabeth and me in Nov.
(Not a very good picture of her.)
A third, lighter prayer request is for a vehicle. I hope to be purchasing a vehicle within the next couple of months. My prayer is for one that runs well and can fit all of us in it. Which means, most likely, a single cab pickup with a topper. Remember TIA. Also that I would be patient and know that He can provide far better than I can imagine.
The final prayer request is for patience and wisdom about the future for me and the children. For a clear, well light direction for the future and the faith and strength to follow after His plan. Faith that the Lord will protect and provide. Wisdom in how to love and, in love, discipline each individual little spirit.
Just so you all know, life here is hard at times but also joyful and colorful often in surprising ways. For example, I have a new friend in my garden. Meet George, the camelian, who doesn't change color very well or possibly at all. You never know what the Lord will surprise you with when you walk out the front door.
Here is one more joy in my life. Agusto is 4 years old. Has an older sister that lives with us (They get to share a bunk bed). He has a very gentle, quiet, and sensitive spirit.
Blessings to you all. Congrats if you made it to the end! If you ever have questions about what I write here or would like to know more, please feel free to contact me via email at sarah_berreth@hotmail.com. Just make the subject clear because I don't look at the mail in the 'junk mail' box very closely.
Sending my love to you Sarah. I will be praying for all of these things and thanks for sharing about George. IT sounds like God is meeting you in the big and small thing:) When we were in the airport on the way to GA we met a man from South Africa. I told him I had a friend in Mozambique. He sais Mozambique is nice he goes there to see wild animals. God reminds me all of the time in little ways to pray for you. May you feel carried by His strength today. Take care friend.
ReplyDeletelove,
Valerie
Thanks for your blog and pictures. It helps me in picturing you there and in knowing how to pray for you. I am glad that the Lord is faithful in blessing you with little pleasures also.
ReplyDeleteLove in Him,
Katherine