Friday, May 8, 2009

The Beginning...

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to a picnic that was organized to remember the 15 million children who have been orphaned by AIDS.  It was an evening filled with swinging, jungle gyms, basketball, tacos, cupcakes, and good conversation.  Toward the closing of the night I was able to sit by myself and observe (one of my favorite things to do) the playing and groups talking.  Every one seemed to be enjoying themselves, a game of basketball, the laughter from the play gym, the squeals from the swings.  Nothing out of the ordinary. 

There was something extra beautiful though.  The families.  Most, if not all, of the families there are in the process of adoption or already have their families together.  A group of dads and moms, brothers and sisters, grandparents who all, in part, have a bond because of the desire and willingness to love a child not given to them through birth but through adoption.  I am thankful for the few hours I was able to spend with them all.

The Lord has asked me to begin a new journey with Him.  Since you are reading this you probably already know that on May 31 I am going to Mozambique, Africa to be a housemom at an orphanage.  It is the same area in Moz that I had the opportunity to visit in Nov.  While there God began opening my heart and eyes to the possibility and ask of my willingness to go back.  I have been thankful for these last 6 months; being closer to family, remembering what it is like to be part of a church family, reconnecting with old friends.  It also has been a time where the Lord has continue to confirm through His word that this is what He desires of me.  I ask for prayers for this journey.  I can not do this without His strength.  I have faith that He has gone before me and that He will never leave me.  He is faithful. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sarah for being a part of the evening. It meant so much to have you there. You are such an inspiration. You are a true woman of God, and your faithfulness is amazing. I can't wait to follow your journey. You and the children you will be living with will be in my prayers.
    Let me know when you have an address!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Just wanted to let you know you'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you enter into this newest phase of your life.

    It was so good to see you at the picnic - sorry we didn't have time to talk more - Lydia & Miss T kept me pretty busy.

    I also wanted to let you know that we have decided to make you our mission partner for the next few months at church. Each Sunday the kids take a coin offering that goes to a mission project. Our first offering went to help buy a truck to transport solar ovens in Haiti. It won't be a lot of money - I think it took 6 months to raise $100 for the truck project. More importantly you'll be in our prayers every week, and I'll be sharing your story with the kids as part of the childrens sermon. I'll send the funds to the address you have listed on here.

    God bless you on this journey. I hope you can keep up this blog during your stay in Africa - or at least keep in touch with Valerie and I'll get updates from her.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete